The City regularly monitors industrial land supply and development activity.
The latest review was undertaken in September to December 2018.
As at September 2018, there was a total of 2,709 hectares of zoned industrial land stocks including approved future growth (NEIP), of which 480 hectares were assessed as available (supply) for industrial development.
- This quantum of zoned industrial supply relative to unavailable industrial land stocks equates to a total land area vacancy rate of 18%.
- There has been an upturn in industrial development in the last three years despite the changes in the economy.
- Annual consumption of industrial land has increased from 10 hectares per year to 23 hectares per year over the last three years.
- Majority of vacant supply is in the GREP which is strategically set aside for large lots (1 to 5 hectares).
- There is a lack of available supply in the southern parts of the city, with the Marshalltown Road Precinct nearly exhausted.