Works within road reserve permits

A 'works within road reserve' permit must be obtained prior to any works being undertaken within our infrastructure.

This is to ensure that our road reserves are protected and reinstated to their original state after works have been carried out.

This permit is required if works are being undertaken within our road reserves, ie drainage, footpath replacement, etc and can include things such as:

  • Drainage
  • Footpath replacement
  • Water tappings
  • Issues with underground cabling, etc.
  • Drilling of bore holes

Permit applicant

As the permit is a duplicate form, you or your builder or contactor, will need to attend one of our Customer Service Centres in person to complete the form. You will need to provide the following information:

  • A Certificate of Currency of your Public Liability Insurance to the value of $10 million
  • Details of dimensions, location and type of works
  • Details of who will be responsible for the reinstatement works, if any
  • Relevant payment for the works to be undertaken
  • A Traffic Management Plan if the work area is over 8.5 square metres

Public liability insurance

Public liability insurance ensures that the public are safe and liability for any accidents is covered by the person undertaking these construction works on your behalf.

A minimum of $10 million worth of pubic liability cover is required. Applicants are advised that proof of cover in the form of a Certificate of Currency is necessary before the application can be filled out on your behalf.

We keep a Public Liability Register for this purpose to make things easier for repeat applicants. Each year a new Certificate of Currency must be supplied before any new applications can be lodged.


Each permit is assessed on the requirements of the job, depending on location, type of work, etc.  The permit fee must be paid at the time of application.

Permit issue

If the total work area is under 8.5 square metres, you will receive the permit at the time of lodgement.

If the total work area is over 8.5 square metres you will need an application for consent for works within road reserves and this will need to be lodged at any Customer Service Centre, together with the Traffic Management Plan, and will then be forwarded to our Engineering Department for processing.


Depending on the works, if you require an inspection, please contact us on 03 5272 4426.

Vehicle crossings

If constructing a vehicle crossing then you will need to obtain a vehicle crossing permit.

Is this information helpful?
Yes No

Page last updated: Friday, 29 June 2018