It’s important to remember a few basic food safety rules to ensure you stay healthy and reduce your food waste.
- Wash your hands before and whilst preparing food
- Keep foods out of the temperature 'danger zone'. Between 5 and 60 degrees Celsius is where bacteria, a common cause of food poisoning, can reproduce quickly. Put food in the fridge within 2 hours.
- Prevent cross-contamination. Always keep raw meats separate from ready-to-eat food.
- Make sure all food (particularly seafood, poultry and meat) is cooked thoroughly
- Visit the Better Health Channel website for more information on how to cook, shop, store and eat food safely.
Source: Love food, hate waste