Important information for the setting up and running of your sausage sizzle which will ensure you are selling safe food.
How to set up
- Food handlers must use soap and warm water to wash their hands.
- Single use paper towel to be used to dry hands.
- Sausages must be stored below 5 degrees Celsius.
- This means that meat must be kept in an esky with enough ice to maintain this temperature.
- Ensure that the thermometer is sterilised before it comes into contact with food.
- Use alcohol swabs or boiling water to sterilise probe.
What to do during your sausage sizzle
- When cooking, make sure that raw food does not come into contact with cooked food.
- Meat must be cooked to at least 75 degrees Celsius.
Displaying and serving:
- Different utensils and plates must be used when handling raw meat and cooked meat.
- Food handlers must wash their hands in between handling raw and cooked meat.
- Tongs or disposable gloves must be used when handling cooked meat and ready to eat food, such as bread.
- Disposable gloves must be changed often or immediately if they tear or if the food handler changes tasks.