We will use sustainable principles to guide development of growth areas
and help protect our townships.
- Making sure
housing supply, diversity and
affordability can meet the needs of our growing community.
- Facilitating opportunities for infill residential development.
- Continuing to develop urban growth
areas across the region.
- Managing the impact of development on
the unique character of our townships.
- Improving the environmental
performance of new developments,
using planning controls.
- Delivering biodiversity conservation programs.
- Preserving nature reserves, rural and coastal environments.
Our aims in 2018-2019
- Continue a coordinated approach to drainage and water sensitive urban design.
- Establish Sparrovale Wetlands, to enhance the area and its biodiversity.
- Complete the Settlement Strategy, to guide growth,
boundaries and development in townships and urban areas.
- Review of existing land for community facilities, with new land
acquired where needed.
- Manage the delivery of nature reserves in new developments.
- Introduce a rural and peri-urban advisory body to build
relationships and foster best practice.
Measures of success
- More protected
natural habitat that we manage.
- Planned 15 years
of residential land supply.
- 40 per cent of
new housing construction conducted within existing urban areas.
- 100 per cent of
new large, City-owned buildings rated
5-star ‘Green Star’.
- 100 per cent of new, small City-owned buildings with built
environment sustainability scorecard
controls in place that require a mandatory sustainable design assessment of all